ABC's of Singapore Math
Based on the participants' responses, we were able to say an truly advanced learner is able to do the math, in addition this student is also (a) do it in many ways (b) able to tell that s/he is correct or not (c) communicate his/her thinking to a friend and in writing. A truly advanced learner does not whine "Do I have to?" when asked to do something. If s/he does, that student is not advanced.
Ways to challenge advanced learners
(1) Can you explain it?
(2) Do it another way. Do it in an original way.
(3) What do you notice? Any patterns?
(4) Can you explain it to a friend? Can you write it in your journal?
(5) Go find someone who needs help. See what you can do.
(1) Use of concrete materials
(2) Use of visuals
(3) Use of questions - can you see?
Visualization includes seeing what is not there, not seeing what is there and moving things in one's head.
Photographs of the Session are also available at my Facebook