Day 1 focuses on lesson structure. Day 2 on differentiation for advanced learners and Day 3 on assessment and bar models.
This is a summary of some ideas on how learners are supported during lessons put forth by participants.
1. Peer Disucssion. By working with friends and talking through things, students get to see models of how people think and articulate their thinking. They also get help from friends. This concurs with Vygotsky's idea of learning through interaction.
2. Use of Manipulative. The use of manipulative makes ideas accessible. Example making ten is obvious because of the ten frames. This is based on Bruner's ideas of representations.
3. Spiralling of Lessons. In the second lesson on formal long division method, students get to revisit the number bonds method.
4. Informal Learning. Long division is first learnt informally using number bonds. This is Dienes ideas on stages of learning.
5. Context. All calculations are learnt through context and stories.
6. Multiple Methods. Some methods are more literal and accessible to beginners.